01983 823898

Practical help for carers

Your local council might be able to arrange practical help to allow you to care more effectively and reduce your stress. This could include things like arranging for someone to step in for a while to give you a break or providing some extra support for the person you care for, to give you more time for your other responsibilities.

To see if you can get practical help, you’ll need the council to carry out a carer’s assessment. All carers are entitled to this.

The carer’s assessment looks at how caring affects your life and work, and how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family. A carer’s assessment isn’t an exam – you won’t be judged on whether the care you give is good enough.

Getting a carer’s assessment

Contact the social services department of the council covering the area where the person you care for lives. You may be able to do this online through the council’s website. Tell them you’re a carer and ask them to carry out a carer’s assessment for you. You can ask at any time but it’s always a good idea to ask for an assessment if your needs change or you need more support.

The Isle of Wight Council has also commissioned Carers IW to provide a variety of support to carers living on the island.

To determine your eligibility from the Isle of Wight Council, an assessment will need to be completed. More details about the assessment can be found by clicking on the link below.

IOWCC Assessment Details (click)

Further information

Age UK – Advice for Carers (Information Guide)

Citizens Advice – Carers: Help and Advice