- There are many forms of support that can help you manage your health:
NHS Choices can offer you advice about specific conditions.
- Visit your GP or Pharmacist for direct help with health problems
- Wellbeing Advisors offer one to one support to make lifestyle changes such as weight management and stopping smoking.
- If you have a Long Term Condition, you may like to consider joining a local support group. Details of these can be found through Community Action IW
- Local Area Co-ordinators support people (adults and children) with disabilities, mental health needs and older people spending time talking about your life and what might make it better.
- Care Navigators, through Age UK, provide short term support, offering free, impartial advice to anyone aged 50+, as well as their families and carers to help overcome challenges they may face.
- People Matter IW operate an Independent Living Centre (ILC) located in Newport, it helps people to remain independent in their own homes for as long as possible by providing information and advice and the opportunity to ‘try before you buy’ across a wide range of aids and equipment. This could be using Tele Health or Telecare. The ILC stocks and can demo Telecare and personal Alarms. The ILC runs clinics and provides access to an NHS OT for assessment of need, all hour-long appointments on a Monday and Wednesday are provided free. People can either ring the centre or call in person to be booked into an appointment date and time of their choice.
The Isle of Wight Wellbeing Service
If you would like help to improve your health and wellbeing, have you ever considered making contact with the Isle of Wight Wellbeing Service who will be pleased to offer you advice and support in three important areas – Weight Management, Stopping Smoking and Physical Inactivity.
There is plenty of evidence now available to show that there are clear benefits to be gained from making even small changes to your lifestyle in order to improve your overall health. Imagine how much easier it would be to stick to a new regime if you had someone to encourage you at every step!
Our Wellbeing Advisors understand how hard it can be to change the habits of a lifetime and are there to help you make that first step to a healthier life. Over a twelve week period we offer group sessions in both stopping smoking and weight management through behaviour change and motivational support. Subsequently, follow up motivational support will be given for up to one year.
Those being referred to increase their physical activity are offered an exercise referral with a qualified instructor at Isle of Wight Council 1Leisure facilities, with half price membership for up to 4 months!
Referrals can be made to the Wellbeing Service through your GP or other health professional.
You must be over 18 years of age. Please note that access to our weight management programme is restricted by several conditions which should be discussed with your health professional.