What Universal Credit is

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

If you already get other benefits

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently get any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:

  • you have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

Do you need help to make a new Universal Credit claim?

can support you to make a new claim for Universal Credit, from opening your account to receiving your first full payment.

Before you make a claim for Universal Credit we urge you to contact Citizens Advice . Our advisers will be able to explore all your options with you to make sure you will be getting the right support during Coronavirus.

Contact the Help to Claim Universal Credit Team:

Email  and a local team member will call you back as soon as they can.

– Contact the national Help to Claim team on 0800 144 8 444 to speak to an adviser on the telephone. Lines are open from 8am to 6pm.

– Visit the national  website for a webchat.

(Updated 30/06/21)


Adviceline: (free)


*Adviceline is open 9am until 5pm Monday to Friday