There are many ways that you can deal with crime or community safety issues. This section explains some of these, giving contact details of those who can help.

In an emergency always dial 999.

To report non-emergency crimes dial 101.

You should call 101 to report crime and other concerns that do not require an emergency response. For example, if:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood

Or to:

  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

Alternatively visit to report in person.

Victim Support

There are people and groups who can help if you have been the victim of a crime. They can help you when you report a crime, when you go to court and after a trial.

Victim Support offer free help and support to victims of crime including:

  • Emotional support – for example, coping with the after-effects of crime
  • Practical help like getting locks changed or help filling in forms for insurance and compensation
  • Advice on dealing with the police
  • Help finding a counsellor

You can contact Victim Support even if the crime happened a long time ago or you haven’t reported it to the police. Go to their home page and select “Find help near you”

Hate Crime

If you’ve experienced an act of violence or hostility because of who you are or someone thinks you are, you may have been the victim of a hate incident or hate crime. Hate incidents and hate crime happen because of prejudice or hostility based on a person’s disability, race, religion, sexual orientation or transgender identity.

The law considers hate incidents and hate crime to be particularly serious. This section explains what you can do if you’ve experienced, or know someone who has experienced, a hate incident or crime.

For more information visit our page on Hate Crime


To report fraud, attempted fraud or cyber crime and receive a police crime reference number contact Action Fraud

For more information visit our page on Staying Safe Online


Typical scams can include: Fake lotteries and prize draws, bogus psychic predictions, get-rich-quick investments and ‘miracle’ health cures and these are just some of the many tricks that scammers try. Conmen use tactics that are so powerful that it can be difficult for people to say no.

For more information visit our page on Scams & Fraud

  • Phishing – any email/call/message which has been received claiming to be an official body and asking for personal details, has promised rewards, prizes or shares of fortunes for small fees.
  • Malware – this is unwanted software which has adversely affected your computer, phone or computer device. It may have been downloaded when you were visiting a website or via an email link.

Use Action Fraud’s reporting tool if you have experienced phishing or malware approaches but have NOT lost any money or exposed your personal details.

Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is defined in section 1(1)a of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998 as an individual acting in a “manner that caused or was likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more persons not of the same household as him / herself”.

The term “likely to cause” means that someone other than the victim of the behaviour can give evidence (see question viii). This definition can also include cases “where people are in fear of crime” since this can cause alarm or distress.

How to report anti-social behaviour:

Contact the Hampshire Constabulary on their non-emergency number.

For noise complaints contact Environmental Health

For fly tipping contact Waste Management

For more information visit our page on Anti-Social Behaviour

Community Safety

(CSP) brings together several organisations working together to tackle, prevent and reduce crime and anti-social behaviour. The Organisations which form the CSP are:

  • Council.
  • Hampshire Constabulary.
  • Fire and Rescue.
  • National Probation Trust.
  • Hampshire Community Rehabilitation Company.
  • Clinical Commissioning Group.

Updated 19/06/2020

Call  if:

  • a serious offence is in progress or has just been committed
  • someone is in immediate danger or harm
  • property is in danger of being damaged
  • a serious disruption to the public is likely

Call  for non-emergency enquiries.